Friday, December 31, 2010

Mommy WOW, I'm a beaurecrat now!

Ahh New Year's Eve... I don't really care! This year has been like 5 years with all the ups and downs.

This was 2010: get married, leave a job I hate, start a new job I though was cool, buy an awesome new car for myself without any help, realize the guy I work for is a shmuck when a couple paychecks bounce, then get laid off for lack of funds...ya think?! Stay unemployed for 3 miserable months, find out that unemployment insurance won't pay me much (500 a month), find out what marriage is really about; for better or worse, take up cooking and get really good at it, start working out and going to therapy again (and blogging), get one of the worst cold/flu's of my life and stay down for 2 weeks, get a crappy job in retail where I get no hours and make less than unemployment sends me, then another agonizing month later I land a job that is virtually perfect for me!
High highs and low lows.

I am thankful for all of the lessons I have learned this year, really I am. One stands out in particular and let me start by saying that my new job is great and I was actually thrilled to find out that I had my own large cubicle and computer and direct phone line and email address. I have always been somebody's stupid receptionist or somewhere without a desk altogether. So this whole bureaucracy thing is a complete new concept for me. Here is the actual definition of bureaucracy: the combined organizational structure, procedures, protocols, and set of regulations in place to manage activity, usually in large organizations. It is often represented by standard procedure (rule-following) that guides the execution of most or all processes within the body; formal division of powers; hierarchy; and relationships, intended to anticipate needs and improve efficiency.
I don't actually feel this way about my job, a little mundane at times yes, but it's very laid back and as long as you are helping the company grow everyone pretty much leaves you alone to your work.
The following chronicle is what my mother claims is the funniest office joke she's heard in a long time. Mind you, this happened to me:

OMG! So I haven’t been up from my desk all day really and I am getting really hungry and kind of stupid. So I walk back to the kitchen to heat up my pizza and I see on the table (anything on the table is there for everyone) a Tupperware with beans and rice, some tortillas, some chicken noodle soup and some cheese slices. I’m like “sweet! That looks better than my pizza” right? So I grab a piece of cheese and take a bite, then realize that there is a chair pulled out in front of the food and I think this is somebody’s lunch! OMG! So I crumble the rest of the cheese slice in my hand to hide the evidence and throw in inconspicuously into the trash. I stood there staring at the whole ensemble for a moment. I heated up my pizza and walked back to my desk thinking about what I have done. Once I get here I almost can’t contain myself, I could so bust up laughing right now!
I am so not used to this whole bureaucracy cubicle break room/kitchen thing! Hahahahahaha!

Hahaha indeed. Enjoy that one...

No comments: